Harpur Hiccup

Went down to help out at the RR today. After talking with Phil earlier this week on the phone, I knew we would have our work cut out for us. The Harpur took out a piston ring on the fireman’s side. We pulled the crosshead guides apart to get at the wrist pin. Once it was out, I got the hot wrench to remove the crosshead so the piston and rod could be removed.

After removing the piston, we see in this picture the damage. Looks like the piston had prior damage to the casting. The piece will be on its way to a machine shop next week for repairs.

Well looks like we need more lubrication for the jugs on this ol girl. So we will be remedying that next.



~ by pcrailroad on October 30, 2008.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: